Beyond the obvious (Article) - MACROEDU

Translate

Monday, July 17, 2017

@Emertuskay

Beyond the obvious (Article)

No one in the entire country can dispute the fact that my town is a key town in the state for any politician aiming to have a good outing in the election.
That afternoon Chief Mba, the chosen one, as he is called by his political party members was to address the whole town in our small town hall. As usual, the town hall was filled to thrice its capacity. Everyone wants to hear the manifesto of this man as the whole state have been feeding on half loaves of bread since the current administration emerged the winner from the last election. Many people sat on the floor, right up to the foot of the dais. I managed to get a seat at the front row as I got there three hours before the hall started filling up. I have previously not seen the man neither do I know much about him. All I knew about him was due to the glimpse I got from his popularity.
A few dancing groups entertained the audience as we all waited in agog for the chosen one, Chief Mba. Beads of perspiration appeared on my forehead, will this turn out to be the saviour we have been waiting for to turn our half loaves of bread into a whole bread? Many cacophony of thoughts ran through my mind.
The hike in school fee was already threatening the completion of my secondary school education, let alone my dream of furthering into higher institution. If the economy should continue in this manner, there won't be place for poor boys like me from the lower class of the economy in schools again. I was in agog for hope.
Here comes the man we have all been waiting for, the whole crowd was applauding. The Hunter's group of my town, met in warrior's salute and knock the barrel of their guns. This is only done when a member of the group dies or when we have a special personality in town.
I didn't know the man, as he came with his entourage. I asked the man beside me to point him out for me, but unfortunately he was an illiterate who does not even know the person he was hailing and applauding. I turned back and fortunately I saw a damsel we studied together in primary school, she was my angel for that afternoon as she was the one who showed me the THE CHOSEN ONE. Immediately, I had a memory flashback to a night my father took me to visit someone that in my memory looks like this man. I wasn't sure yet so I waited till he stepped on the dias to give his manifesto.
At that instance, he stepped the dias, I vividly recognized him. Anger ran through my nerves - this man? He has only come to make things worse. I remembered the scene of the night my father, years before his death, took me to his house . That night he told my father, if he gets a chance to serve in any public office, he is going to share from the national "cake" too and leave. I remember vividly, how my father was also smiling and couldn't face him with the truth that night because of the dime he was to offer him.
Immediately, I stood up and left my seat at the front. The beautiful damsel I had greeted tried throwing a few questions as I left but I wasn't in the mood, I was furious. As I stood at one corner of the hall, with everyone yelping, intense bitterness was welling up in me. If only I could rise and talk to these people about the man.
I wished for a miracle at that point, for a tumult to hush this ridiculous gathering and tell these poor despondent people the truth about the man. I went home frustrated, tears filled my eyes and I was picturing the suffering we're to undergo in the four years if this man should win. He has an edge above other candidates. I wept for my dream of wearing the white coat of doctors someday.
Only if I can, only if I can get on that dais and tell these poor despondent people the truth. Oh, how I wish they could see beyond the obvious.

Image result for vision pictures

Aderinto nicholas


Subscribe to this Blog via Email :